The Genes Are Us website helps young people learn about genetic disorders “and how differences in our genes help to make everyone unique”. It includes a library of films documenting the lives of children with genetic disorders, which are all accompanied by downloadable teaching resources.
Anna Faherty worked with the charity Jeans for Genes on a number of Genes Are Us projects to develop cross-curricula teaching resources for KS1, KS2 and KS3.
The projects involved:
- researching the science related to specific genetic disorders
- devising a wide range of practical curriculum-linked classroom activities
- writing succinct teacher-focused information and instructions
- developing learner-centred worksheets
- providing suggested extension activities and supporting weblinks